Writing documentation and preparing presentations as software developer is bad enough but using Microsoft Office makes it unbearable.
- Binary content does not play well with version control and easy diffing does not work
- Many documents are shared over email or Slack and you have no clue if you are looking at the latest version of it
- You might not have the latest and greatest Microsoft Office 365 installed on your box
BLOBs shared over email, file system and/or Slack should be a thing of the past. We want our stuff
- Text-based & version controlled
- Playing nicely with GitHub and Bitbucket
- Integrated in our build system of choice
We used Markdown a lot (and still love) but run into a few short-comings when writing larger documents
- Original Markdown was very limited and missing features led to many flavors
- Rendering of that many flavors cause headache and require tweaking of the original documents
- Handling of TOC, complex table layouts, admonitions, …
Assuming that you are still interested in the topic you are gladly invited to have a look at the following presentation presentation at Github.